Sunday, June 5, 2011

I unpacked...

The past couple of days have been, well, miserable. The nursing home care team made it clear that they felt my Dad was nearing the end but as is understandable couldn't give me any timeline of when to start heading toward Kentucky.  So basically I have carried my phone with me at all times and because I had just gotten back from KY a few days before, I didn't even bother to unpack knowing I may be repacking at any moment.  I haven't had many distractions because I've had the week off since my Grad school semester recently ended. Tomorrow I start my first day of a summer internship at Urban Promise, which I have been looking forward to for months! But in the mean time, I've had nothing of urgency to do, which left me sitting in front of the TV trying to stay distracted & keep my mind off of my parents.

Yesterday my husband looked at me and said, "You have to keep living your life."  So we got out of the house and took a beautiful drive into New Jersey wine country, yes, there is such a thing!
We visited Alba Winery and had our first ever wine tasting.  It was so beautiful and relaxing and the woman who guided us through the tasting answered every one of my ridiculous questions about how grapes are grown and harvested.  I was clueless!  They gave us free-reign of the vineyards so we drove up to a picture perfect outlook, where they apparently host weddings and enjoyed the view.











Afterwards we headed to The Oyster House which Jonny has wanted to visit for months! He became acquainted with the head chef/owner  a while back. After seeing the restaurant listed in the newspaper as having the #1 Zagat rating for seafood in NJ he convinced me we better go!  Our meal was amazing & we felt like rockstars when the owner came out to our table to check on us.  I'm not usually big on seafood but I ate every last bit of it!  Our day ended by stopping in Lambertville on our way back home.  It's a great little town right on the Delaware River with a bridge you can walk across into another ex-hippie artsy-fartsy fun town in PA.  Basically my husband did what he does best and distracted me with a day filled with love!  I am so blessed.




Today I spoke with my Mom and it appears Dad is really hanging in there, his pneumonia actually appears to have improved.  It's still clear we are coming to the end, but like my husband said, even while my Dad lay dying, I have to keep living my life.   So...I unpacked.



3 comments: