Monday, March 18, 2013

"I prefer to wear suspenders with my Belt"

This morning we went back to the Perinatal Center as directed, with our bags packed ready to be admitted if needed.  Monitoring showed the boys are still active and doing well.  Then on to the ultrasound for a look at blood flow and of course-the ductus.  Ultrasounds take a lot longer these days considering we have to stop so often so I can sit up so as not pass out from all the weight bearing down on me, making me short of breath and causing my heart to race-ahhh the joys of the final weeks of a twin pregnancy! Each time we are at the Perinatal Center we see one of 2 or 3 high-risk doctors.  We have seen Dr. Ott quite a bit in recent weeks because he is considered to be the expert in the group at viewing blood flow to the heart. He told us today that nothing has changed and that he feels good about   it. He told us there was some debate among doctors about how important it even was to continue to check the ductal flow when so many other factors showed nothing but positive signs of good/improving health.  Apparently just today he and another doctor from the team were reading a newly released medical journal article which basically stated in a nutshell that there is no real consensus on the best way to monitor a pregnancy post TTTS laser surgery!  There just isn't a large enough sample group of women experiencing TTTS, because it is so rare! His response to all of it was to tell us that he thinks we should continue what we are doing, since things are going so well. In other words continue the same monitoring and continue on the same medications.  In his own quirky way he put it into laymen terms his reason for continuing to check the ductal flow saying, "I prefer to wear suspenders with my Belt!"

Today was just another reminder of the fact that just a matter of 10 or so years ago our boys would not likely have survived TTTS.  The laser surgery is fairly recent! It's such a great feeling to watch doctors smile in pure joy as they realize our story for the first time and recognize that modern medicine is advancing and saving lives!  Even more reason to spread the word for awareness and support of research!  Here is a good site to check out and a good page to "Like" on Facebook.

So we'll be back on Thursday bags packed again, if all goes well then we'll return on Monday and continue with twice a week monitoring from here on out.  Today I am 34 weeks and 2 days and so happy to be able to provide a safe space for my miracle babies to continue to grow as they are intended to do a little longer! I may complain and whine about how uncomfortable I am but I don't forget for a second just how incredibly blessed we are!  Please keep in mind that prematurity is a very big deal! We do NOT want to rush this and are so happy that our doctors think it is safe to let me go as long as possible up to the 37th week.

Now if you'll excuse me this pregnant woman has a date with a bag of Reese's peanut butter easter eggs!  One of the more superficial reasons why Easter truly is my favorite holiday.

Thanks for your prayers & support!


No comments:

Post a Comment