Monday, March 4, 2013

32 Weeks-Debbie Downer Speaks


Not much has changed.  Still pregnant and happy to be.  The boys are still growing and remaining strong. There seems to have been confusion voiced by some people in my life about the fact that my doctors set a goal for me to reach 30-32 weeks before delivering. While reaching 32 weeks is reason for celebration I want to clarify that the goal is NOT to have the boys anytime soon.  32 weeks was the goal set after surgery when survival was our only goal and every day was a new milestone. In NO way do we, or my doctors, want the babies to come anytime soon.  The longer the babies remain in utero the healthier they will be.  Just to give you an idea of how important each passing week is for the development of a baby check out this chart I found on Pinterest…



We’ve come so far and I don’t take that for granted for a second!  I feel very blessed and grateful. However, we now have a glimpse of what might actually be a “normal” twin birth and hospital stay (full-term for twins is 37 weeks) and I will do everything I can to make that happen.  While there is not much I can do, there is a lot I can avoid.  For the past few weeks, every couple of days I experience a series of Braxton Hicks contractions. They don’t necessarily hurt they are just very uncomfortable, sometimes take my breath away, and definitely make my heart race. The worst though is when the contractions are combined with other symptoms of preterm labor like a dull ache in my back and abdominal cramping-honestly the cramping is the most miserable part!    Each time I experience contractions I follow the rules by stopping everything, drinking lots of water and lying down on my side. Luckily they always seem to go away. The rule is 5-6 an hour, 10 minutes apart or closer necessitates a trip to the hospital.  I’ve been using a chart like this to help me stay calm and remember the difference between truly being in labor and experiencing false labor…



While my OB has told me it’s ok to lighten up on my bedrest (meaning I can start doing small activities around the house-simple things like folding laundry-while still sitting of course) she has also made it clear I must listen to my body.  Trust me when contractions hit my body screams at me and I listen!  It’s tough though because it’s not always easy to tell the difference between contractions and other things like both babies deciding to roll around at the same time-OUCH-they are getting big enough that this is quite uncomfortable.  A lot of the symptoms I experience from IBS can also easily be confused as preterm labor.  I’m learning that the amount of water I drank earlier in pregnancy is just not enough anymore.  Dehydration is a huge cause of false labor contractions.  So if anyone wants to challenge me to a drinking contest go for it! It keeps me motivated. 

This week will bring very important appointments.  On Wednesday evening I’ll meet with my OB to talk more specifically about a birth plan.  On Thursday I will start weekly monitoring-it is exactly what it sounds like-me hooked up to monitors in the Perinatal Center for an hour.  We’ll then see our cardiologist for an update on their hearts-honestly the most important visit we’ve had in a while in my mind.  It’s been a month since we saw our cardiologist and we are very eager to hear how Connor’s heart is doing.  That appointment will then be followed by a consultation with a NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) doctor.   What I would love to hear is that our boys are doing so well that they doubt the boys will even need a NICU stay, but of course no one can predict that.  There are so many factors it will depend upon, the basic being how early they are born.  It is very likely they will spend at least a few days there regardless of size.  I just hope we don’t have to go through weeks in the NICU like so many TTTS survivors and twins in general do. 

I have to admit my nerves are on edge with the increase in contractions and worry about when the boys will come.  As much as I try to relax and not think about it, it is hard to stay distracted with so much time to sit and think on bedrest.  Bedrest is also really wearing on me-this week makes 14 weeks!  Nearly 100 days with very little freedom has really taken a toll on this independent girl.   The nesting instinct has definitely kicked in and not being able to act on it is so hard.  I worry that no matter what type of delivery I have the recovery will be incredibly difficult after being inactive for months.   If one more person tells me, “you’ll have plenty of time for that soon!” I might lost it.  Really?  I’m going to have time to get organized and go run errands once I have 2 infants!?  I think not.  I realize I should probably write my own, "what not to say to someone on bedrest" list but for now you can enjoy this list made by a woman on hospital bedrest-I am so thankful I have at least been able to be home for bedrest.

Ok enough negative Nancy & Debbie Downer for one day.  Thanks for reading and allowing me to vent.  I promise to bring back Polly Perky Pants for the next blog post-maybe.  But seriously, we really are thanking God to be at 32 weeks with two miracle babies!  We’ll keep you updated as things progress.  Please keep both Jonny and myself in your prayers-we try to take it all in stride, trust in God, and simply live day by day, but let’s face it, it’s incredibly difficult at this point.  If you want to volunteer your time helping Jonny get the house/nursery ready let us know. We won’t turn you away! 

Blessings,
Katrina  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katrina! Thanks for sharing my things not to say to a person on bed rest list. Just so you know, I wrote that over a year ago and I survived it! So will you! Just keep your chin up and no matter what you do, just take it one step at a time!
    Toulouse

    ReplyDelete