Monday, February 18, 2013

How I Spent My Saturday-In The Hospital


Saturday started out as a day of celebration (nothing special-just our shared mood) for reaching 30 weeks of pregnancy.  Midway through the day however I started experiencing signs of preterm labor- mild low backache, cramping, a few mild contractions, etc… The same had happened the day before so when the symptoms wouldn’t go away after about an hour I decided to call the weekend exchange for my OB’s office. My own doctor happened to be on call and returned my phone call within what felt like seconds. In mid sentence as I was saying, “I doubt this is anything but…” she cut me off and insisted I not take any chances and go directly to the hospital for monitoring.  So we did.  I was soon after hooked up to 3 monitors-1 for each babies heart, and 1 for contractions.  I suddenly got very nervous when the nurse confirmed I was having contractions I wasn’t even feeling.  Blood was drawn, urine was tested (TMI? Sorry-but at this point I’m writing for other women who may have to experience this. Trust me they want details!), and an IV was put in.  A resident doctor came in-did an ultrasound on the babies (both looked good), did more than one exam (that would be TMI so use your imagination),  and then left to call my doctor to see what she advised we do.  At that point we were convinced that no matter what they said I’d be admitted over night.  Honestly, I was worried I’d end up on hospital bedrest…not something anyone wants! As the IV bag was nearly empty I was feeling so much better with barely any symptoms left.  All tests were showing it was probably just my uterus being irritable-something they say could continue to happen through the rest of my pregnancy because of the amount of weight/pressure being put on it by twins (one of the many joys of carrying twins).   Because I’m already on two medications to prevent contractions-they sent me home!  Relieved-yes.  Still nervous-of course!

So this is the life of a twin pregnancy apparently.  It was a miserable long day but we were treated so well and because it was the weekend I was actually sent to a Labor/Delivery room rather than Maternity Triage.  It’s all brand new! The rooms are huge & BE-U-tiful! Seriously, it had a Jacuzzi tub that I have to admit I wouldn’t have minded staying to use.  Since coming home though I haven’t really had any more problems.  I haven’t really mentioned contractions in my blog but I do have them from time to time-never more than 2 an hour though until Saturday.  The rule is not to worry unless you have between 4-6 in one hour.  Although they ALL tell me call if I am worried.  Having twins (and of course Twin to Twin Transfusion) makes them super cautious with me. So we’ll chalk this up to just another hiccup along the way.  Not that I needed a reminder, I didn’t, but it is motivation to keep obeying the rules of bedrest.  Although, bedrest isn’t that hard at this point considering I am always exhausted!

Since leaving the hospital I’m been drinking water like a champ-dehydration can lead to contractions.  All is well again, I’m back to normal pregnancy woes of waking up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom, not being able to stay comfortable in bed, heartburn, shortness of breath, you know the glorious miracle of life stuff.  I’ll take “normal” pregnancy woes at 30+ weeks over the trouble we’ve had earlier in the pregnancy any day! At this point I’m measuring at what a singleton mom would be at just over 40 weeks. Somehow being sent home from the hospital has given me a little bit more peace of mind.  Plus, reading online message boards from other women who are around 30 weeks pregnant with twins makes me realize, I’m not having nearly as many contractions as most of these women.  Maybe we really will make it weeks longer- I sure hope so…the boys have so much more developing to do.  Prayers would be greatly appreciated.  30 weeks is a milestone but it does not mean we are out of the woods for health risks. Thanks for reading.  Thanks for praying.  Thanks for loving.  

-Katrina 

One more thing- People have been asking about the beautiful necklace my amazingly sweet husband got me for Valentine's Day shown in my last post. It came from this Etsy shop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment