Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday-Individual or Team Sport?


Warning: If you don’t like sappy introspective “theological” talk you may not be interested in this post…yet you’re probably the person that should read it & be forced to think so go ahead…

Today I am home, alone, again, unable to leave the house as I obey the rules that protect the vulnerable lives of my two unborn children. Today is Ash Wednesday. I’m reflecting on the meaning of this day and this season the Christian church is entering. Moreover, as I sit here alone, admittedly somewhat lonely, I wonder…what does it mean in relation to community?   I always thought receiving the ashes was more of a solitary act. The whole season of Lent seems to be so introspective that it is often done in the silence of our own hearts and “alone” time.  So why is my heart breaking that I can’t go and receive or administer the ashes in the company of others in some form of communal worship?  Is Lent merely a time of personal reflection, introspection, and individual prayer? 


Christ did model private individual prayer time, in the desert, on mountains, in a garden, near the ocean one time (he was outside a lot) so why can’t I be content to pray alone today?  Isn’t this 40-day stent supposed to be a reminder of Christ going into the desert ALONE and fasting/praying, etc…to avoid temptation and to be ready for what was to come? Yet, the bible also sends an overwhelming message that I was created to live & “do life” in community…we all were.  I know WWJD is a mantra for many but we weren’t created to be the savior of the world right!?  We need both “alone” time and communal time-right?  We don’t sit at home and administer the ashes on our own foreheads in the privacy of our bathrooms or prayer closets.  But would it be ok if we did?  Ok, now I’m rambling and sending you through my mental back and forth ping pong match of thoughts-sorry. 

Ash Wednesday is not a tradition that my husband grew up with in his non-denominational Christian church.  Though he is now a Methodist he experiences Ash Wednesday very differently than I do as a lifelong Methodist. So is it merely tradition that makes it so special and powerful to me?  Why am I missing it so much this year?  Is it simply because it is just one more thing I’m told “can’t” do while on bedrest?  Is it because I am a minister missing the blessing of serving others today? 



Last year on Ash Wednesday I was in my last year of Seminary and serving as an intern in a downtown New Brunswick, NJ church.  It is a very diverse congregation full of African and Caribbean immigrants.  It was a midday service designed with the hopes of serving the downtown weekday business crowd in addition to active members.  It was not my first time administering the ashes but it was my first actually preparing the ashes- grinding the burnt pieces of Easter palm branches in a small bowl with anointing oil and making a paste like mixture.  It somehow meant more to me-even if the items did come from a Cokesbury bookstore kit.  With each forehead I smeared the sign of a cross on-black skin, white skin, brown skin, I became more aware of just how much I loved having this honor and responsibility of being one of Christ’s representatives to ALL of God’s people.   This year I sit at home alone apart from ALL of God’s people, connected only by technology, the same technology so many Christians will abstain from over the next 40 days-ironic huh?! 

I don’t have the answers yet, to tie this blog post up with a neat little theological bow.  I don’t know that there is ever one simple black & white, clear-cut answer for questions needing reflection like this.  I suppose my reflection on these questions will continue throughout Lent this year.  What role does the body of Christ play in one another’s lives during our 40-day walk to remembrance of the very real dismemberment of Christ’s body? 

Time to reflect in community-or maybe I should continue reflecting in solitaire. Thoughts?   

* I want to challenge you not to post well-intentioned replies to this entry that are merely extended to make me “feel” better about my bedrest situation or because you are worried about my loneliness.  Please don’t.  If you have a response that continues the dialogue about this topic please chime in below.  You do not need a seminary degree or even an understanding of the word “theology” to offer your thoughts.  Just please don’t respond in an effort to comfort me. I’d rather be made to think, reflect, or even be challenged today.  If comforting still somehow occurs through your words then praise be to God.  

4 comments:

  1. I was not familiar with Ash Wednesday growing up - I simply thought of it as the thing the catholics do. I was introduced to the practice of the imposition of ashes at the seminary chapel at PTS and Ash Wednesday quickly became on of my favorite days on the Christian calendar. Today I'm surprised by how disappointed I am to not be able to make it to church to receive the ashes and have someone touch my forehead. Instead I'll be assisting college students in a dialogue with a delegation from West Africa - super cool btw - but I can't help but feel disconnected from the church body as well! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the answer to your question is BOTH. It is an individual AND a team event. I love the way I feel after receiving my ashes. To have the sign of the cross traced on my forehead in the same pattern that I received during the sacraments of baptism and confirmation renews something deep inside of just ME. But at the same time I feel a sense of community with the other sitting around me. It's a reminder that we are all God's children! Keep writing, I love reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so I have put a lot of thought into this today. Being alone with 2 little boys prevented me from going to church earlier today (you will soon learn - haha!!) but that meant I got to go alone tonight, after reading your post. First, our Gospel reading tonight was from Matthew - do not stand on a corner and pray where everyone can see you, do not let your right hand know what your left hand is doing, go to a quiet room and pray alone... I was reflecting on this as I watched everybody get up and receive their ashes and the "community" part hit me. Lent is a difficult season for us. We fast, we sacrifice, we give, we prepare for what is to come. We need the support of a church community. It's like this was a way of saying even though we are each on our own individual journey, we have the support of everyone around us because they are going through a similar journey. We are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear you talk of the experience of ashes as a minister. I really, really enjoy (in the meaningful sort of way, not the "woohoo!" sort of way) imposing ashes. I didn't grow up with Ash Wednesday -- or Lent, for that matter -- but really appreciate it now. I've not heard others talk about that moment as a minister.

    ReplyDelete