Saturday, August 20, 2011

7-Day Juice Fast: Let the impulsive adventure begin!

Last night Jonny and I watched a documentary on Netflix titled, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead.  The film was made by and focuses on an Australian guy named Joe who got tired of being, well you know the title, and decided to take his health into his own hands and begin the adventure of a 60 day Juice Fast! For two months he ate only fruits and vegetables in the form of juice. He called it a detox for his system, a "reboot." Normally I don't get hooked in by gimmick diets and health experiments but for some reason this sounded really appealing to me. The thought of cleaning out my system from all the fast food and over processed foods we eat in order to then begin eating a truly healthy and balanced diet once and for all sparked my interest.  Yes, the idea of losing weight is the real drive for me, after all I've gained at least 20 pounds over the last several months, basically due to inactivity and overeating in the midst of travel and stress.  However, I realize without proper follow up this could definitely have the yo-you effect. This could be the kickstart my immune system needs to get back in shape.

The challenge was extended to audience members to try it for just 10-15 days.  Jonny & I started talking and talking turned to planning and by the time we went to bed we were fully on board! We had plans to hit the farmers markets in the morning and stock up.  Jonny even searched online for the best Juicer. Well morning came and Jonny had decided he was a no go!  You see we normally aren't super spontaneous people and with more research Jonny decided even though it wasn't dangerous and did seem to be helpful it just wasn't for him. He's been on a great track of losing weight for sometime now and has really amped up his workouts...working out is something that during the fast can be a bit difficult because it can make you lethargic at first. But for me, it still sounds good. I'm a little concerned about doing it with IBS (yes I have IBS-possibly more information than you wanted) but other than that I'm ready. It's a slow week for me I'll be finishing work for my summer internship from home, so it seems like a good time.

So we did it, today we went to Terhune Orchard and stocked up on fruits and veggies followed by a trip to Whole Foods. We bought a juicer, and tonight for dinner I began with "Big Green" (the recipe is on the website).  Jonny "drank" dinner with me...I'm guessing that kindness won't last too long but it was sweet for him to try for tonight. It wasn't the greatest tasting thing, but it did fill me up.  I've heard the first couple of days can be rough and then it gets great leaving you feeling full of energy. I mean really the people who have such a tough time are typically the coffee & caffeine addicts-which I am not, so I should be fine, right!?!  I guess we'll see! 7 days of veggies & fruit in the form of juice. Am I crazy?  Probably. You'll have to read my daily updates to find out.

4 comments:

  1. good luck friend, can't wait to hear how it goes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of luck! I would also recommend reading Crazy Sexy Diet. She goes into juicing, but also a lot of other things that may help you out in the future! I borrowed a copy from the Mercer County library!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I need to buy a juicer. haha..

    ReplyDelete